CoolSculpting – New Non-Invasive Fat Reduction
California Skin Institute has been a center for excellence in body sculpting with tumescent liposuction since 1996 for patients with localized areas of fat resistant to diet and exercise.* Tumescent or local anesthesia liposuction remains the definitive method for fat removal both in safety and efficacy.* Despite its great safety record at CSI, tumescent liposuction is still considered a surgical procedure with a day or more of reduction of normal activity.*
Many of our patients have been waiting for a non-surgical alternative due to a fear of surgery.* As Innovations in non-surgical fat removal have evolved over the past few years, California Skin Institute has been cautious in adopting these technologies until there is FDA-approval and a clinical track record with early adopter physicians.* One of the newest and most promising techniques is Cryolipolysis™ technology via the CoolSculpting® procedure which received FDA-approval for non-invasive reduction fat in September 2010. Cryolipolysis™ cools the targeted fat tissue to break down the fat cells for easy removal without damage to surrounding skin and muscle.* The natural repair mechanisms of the body remove the freeze injured cells over a period of months.*
Who is a Candidate for CoolSculpting® ?
- Men and Women of all ages*
- Healthy patients with one of more areas of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise*
- Most effective in removing fat from the abdomen, love handles (flanks) and back*
- Patients with realistic expectations of modest fat reduction (vs. large volume removal of tumescent liposuction)*
- Patients willing to consider multiple sessions to obtain optimal outcomes*
What Happens During the CoolSculpting® Procedure
- The CoolSculpting® procedure is performed without any sedation and takes two or more hours depending on the extent of the treatment zone.* An applicator cup is placed over the targeted area and suction is used to draw the fat into the applicator that contains cooling panels.* Over the next hour, the fat deposit is cooled to create a gentle freeze injury to the fat cells.* After defrosting, the treated fat cells are removed though our body’s natural metabolic similar to the way fat from food is removed.* This allows for a gradual reduction in fat from targeted areas to create a slimmer, more defined appearance.*
- The outcomes are usually visible several months after treatment (as early as three weeks), and may continue to improve for several months.* Although these improvements are not as rapid as those achieved through liposuction, patients undergoing CoolSculpting® CoolSculpting® can avoid the pain, risks and lengthy recovery times associated with these more invasive procedures.*
- Most patients who undergo CoolSculpting® are highly satisfied with the outcomes of their procedure and are able to enjoy a natural, slimmer appearance.* CoolSculpting® may also be repeated for cumulative effects on fat reduction.* The outcomes of CoolSculpting® are expected to last about as long as fat reduction achieved through traditional liposuction procedures.*
Is CoolSculpting® safe?
Since CoolSculpting® is a non-invasive, non-surgical procedure, it does not possess the same risks as a surgical procedure.* As a completely non-invasive procedure, CoolSculpting® offers patients many benefits over other fat reduction procedures. Some of these benefits include:*
- No downtime*
- No need for anesthesia*
- No incisions*
- High safety allowing most patients to undergo procedure*
During the procedure, most patients remain completely comfortable and can read, listen to music and simply relax.* Most patients are able to return to work and resume other regular activities the very same day. * However, all procedures have post-treatment sequelae and risks.* With CoolSculpting®, risks are primarily redness, bruising and reduced sensation in the treated area.* These side effects are considered normal and usually go away on their own within a few days after treatment.*
Learn more about CoolSculpting® in the news: CoolSculpting® Media Highlights
*Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.